Can you access the Matanuska glacier without a guide?
Matanuska Glacier Park offers self-guided glacier access for people who want to take their time to explore the Matanuska Glacier and its beauty. The trail is half-a-mile, leading to the terminus of the glacier. You’ll have a beautiful view of the face, as well as the start of the Matanuska River.
In the distance, enjoy the Chugach Mountains; this range spans South Central Alaska and is home to Mt. Marcus Baker, the mountain of origin to the Matanuska Glacier.
Season: Summer ONLY (TBD weather pending)
Access Hours: 10 am – 5 pm daily
Cost: $30 per person
Glacier access only. No gear is included.
Opening and closing dates for seeing the Matanuska glacier without a guide are subject to change.
Please check our website for updated information,
or call our office at (907) 746-1696.
There are a few rules for those who chose to see the Matanuska glacier without a guide.
- YOU MUST STAY ON THE MARKED TRAIL AT ALL TIMES.
- The trail is marked by orange cones placed to avoid a risky trek. Do not go past the marked cones ending the route.
- Most of the trail is on the ice—exercise caution when walking and stay alert.
- If you wish to go beyond the marked trail, you must have a guide with you.
- Keep your cell phone on at all times in case of an emergency. Or if the office needs to contact you.
- Do not step into any water. Puddles or streams can be very deep.
- Do not jump over any crevasses. If it is big enough that you cannot easily step over, it is too big to cross.
- Do not try to climb ice that is too steep.
- Do not slide down steep slopes of ice.
- Drones are not allowed to consider the other people on the glacier, their privacy, and enjoyment of the natural surroundings and sounds.
- Whatever you pack in, you MUST pack out, including food, tissues, wrappers, or other garbage.
- Be a responsible pet owner and pick up after your animal.
WARNING ⚠️ IF YOU HAVE LIMITED EXPERIENCE HIKING ON ICE OR HIKING IN GENERAL, WE STRONGLY ADVISE BOOKING A TOUR. CALL OUR OFFICE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS.