How do I get to the glacier?
Drive the spectacular scenic byway through the glacier-sculpted Matanuska Valley where there is ample opportunity for pictures. Just look for the blue signs with the letter P.
- Our GPS address is 66500 S. Glacier Park Rd. We are right off of Mile 102 on the Glenn Highway.
- Give yourself about 2.5 hours if driving from Anchorage. In the summer, beware of construction that may prevent you from arriving on time.
- It is important to arrive 30 min. before your tour so we can get started on time.
- Turn off TO Palmer NOT Wasilla at mile 34. Onto the Glenn Highway.
- What are the road conditions like? Click here for updated road conditions and constructions.
- For step-by-step directions with photos, click here.
How do I book a tour or get tour information?
Contacting our office is the best and fastest way to book a tour. Call (907) 745-2534 or just text (907) 232-9046.
- What time are tours? In the winter we offer tours at 10AM, 11AM, 12PM & 2PM every day including holidays. During Summer Season we offer tours every hour on the hour beginning at 9AM with last tour being at 6PM.
- How long are tours? Tours are between 2-3 hours depending on the group. Distance is around 3 miles round trip.
- Do I need to take a tour? The only access to the Glacier is by guided tour only.
- How much are guided tours? Tours are $100 per person including kids. *Alaska Residents are $40, US Military $40, Children 14 & Under $25.
- Tip for your guide is separate from tour fee. If you would like to tip your guide the standard amount is $15-$20 per person.
- No age limitations
- Looking for a custom or private tour? Call for details.
Should we tip our guide?
Absolutely! Tipping your guide shows your appreciation. Guides do their best to keep you safe on the ice, they provide you with accurate and fascinating information about the glacier, and make hiking the glacier a memorable and fun experience. Just like the restaurant industry, a 20% tip off of the $100 price is appropriate and appreciated.
What should I wear?
- WINTER: You must bring warm boots/socks, insulated jacket, snow pants, hats and gloves. More layers are better to have that not enough. Hand and toe warmers are available for purchase at gift shop. Temperatures may vary between -30 to 35 degrees Fahrenheit.
- SUMMER: Waterproof hiking shoes are strongly encouraged! Sunglasses, hat, and sunscreen are also suggested as it can be very bright and actually easy to get a little pink on a nice sunny day. Thin layers are great in case you need to put more on if the breeze picks up, or take some off it the warm sun is out. Temperatures may vary between 55 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Do not wear high heeled boots for either season. This can be very dangerous for walking conditions on the ice during any season and your micro-spikes will not fit properly on your boot as well.
Is the Matanuska Glacier in a National Park?
No, we are a private entity and the area is owned by Cook Inlet Regional.
Where are the Ice Caves?
Ice caves are really only accessible in the winter time. On a rare occasion there can be ice caves that are accessible in the summer time however the tours typically will take longer therefore cost more due to taking up more of a guides time. (please feel free to call the office to see if there is something available.)
Do you rent/sell equipment for walking on the glacier?
No we do not. The only time equipment will be provided is with a guided tour.
Can we walk on the glacier without a guide, or take a self-guided tour?
While self-guided access to Matanuska Glacier was provided in the past, at this time, for your safety and the preservation of the glacier and terrain, we are only offering guided glacier tours. Please contact us for more information.
What’s the weather going to be like?
Sunny with a chance of rain or snow depending on the season.
Will there be wildlife (bear or moose) on the glacier?
No. We have lots of wildlife in the surrounding area, but due to no food sources on the ice, animals will not waste their time and energy walking on the ice.
Is there an Auto Shop in the area?
Yes, there is a single auto mechanic.. Contact Jared here.